Toll Free: 1-866-288-3285
Top 10 Packing Tips When Moving
Moving would not have been so nightmarish if it were not associated with the ordeals of packing and unpacking. With these two being unavoidable, we can at least make packing easy and safe through some judicious organization. Following here are the top 10 workable packing tips:
1) Pack In TimeDo not delay packing to the last minute. You never know how much confusion would the last hour packing cause besides making you nervous and prone to damaging your household stuff. Depending upon the size of your move and distance of your proposed relocation, you should plan and start packing in advance. It is recommended to read the sections How far in advance should you plan a move and What should I pack first when moving for some gainful insights on sensible packing.
Make a to do list and a date wise schedule of your packing. A general rule is to pack off season stuff first followed by the stuff in the order of less priority. Pack the daily needed items like the kitchen things and toiletries in the last. Consider reading the sections on long-distance move and short-distance move further as per your requirement.
2) Go for Good Quality Packing MaterialIt is not recommended to pick cheap quality packing material like tapes and cardboard boxes. The inferior quality packing material will come cheap but will put your household stuff at the potential risk of damage. Just think of a low-grade cardboard box giving in when you pack an aquarium in it. The damage to your priceless aquarium will take away the charm of moving to a new home. Thus, check the quality of packing material especially the cardboard boxes. It is further advisable to put an additional layer of tape at the bottom of the boxes carrying heavy stuff to lend some extra strength. Just in case. Similar is the case with the adhesive tapes. If they come off while carrying the fragile stuff, the result will be a killjoy.
3) Do Not Hesitate to Seek Help in Packing
4) Apply ‘Division Of Labour’ StrategyIt is best to divide up the packing tasks. How about the children packing up their toys and books with you as their supervisor? And womenfolk taking care of their wardrobe packing? Similarly, you can divide the packing assignments among your family members and see how efficiently they do it. The kids are sometimes most excited to participate in challenging jobs. Let them label the boxes with colourful marker pens. They will enjoy the art and you will get free help. You can also promise a reward for the best packer. Do not miss to advise on space and energy saving techniques. How about showing them a YouTube video or two on packing hacks before they go packing?
5) Pack Solids and Liquids Separately
- See the lids are tight and the corks/packing plugs are in place.
- It is better if bottles are given an additional envelope of polythene or, at least, old newspapers.
- Use separate polythene/paper packing for different bottles even when they are being packed in the same box.
- Put some cushioned packing (old newspapers, magazines, cloth rags etc.) between the bottles. You never know what jerks and jolts these items would have to bear while getting transported.
6) Make Handy Arrangements for Small StuffThe smaller items like jewellery things (earrings, nose pins, rings etc.) could be easily lost.
- It is better to devise special cases and exclusive arrangements for these items if their original boxes are not available. Plastic boxes, pencil cases, goggles cases, medicine boxes, gift containers, egg cartons and travel boxes can be good options to secure your jewellery things.
- The nose pins and ear rings can be secured by piercing a visiting card, small cardboard piece or foam sheet and locking or taping firmly.
- You can also loop your chains through a drinking straw and lock the two ends afterwards to save them from getting jumbled up.
- A word of caution. It is NOT advisable to label ‘Expensive Jewellery’ and throw the box in the movers truck. It is best to keep it with you.
- Pack your necessary documents (identity cards, verification papers, licences, travelling tickets etc.) in a safe packing and keep them handy with you. Pay special attention to your wallet and cash which must be in your reach while travelling.
7) Use the Science and Art of PackingIt is easy, convenient and safer to put small sized items into large boxes and large sized items into perfectly fitting boxes. Also, stuff foldable and flexible things like clothes in large boxes. This will ensure more stuff packed in minimum possible boxes and will be safer too. Do not fold the big linen like mattresses and cushions but roll them. This saves space and additionally summon your creativity and apply some safe DIY tricks like:
Use the space inside the shoes. Good place to stuff undies.
Pack goggles, spectacles and small medicine bottles in the woollen socks. Safety assured.
Use empty space in the boxes. Stuff them with warmers and vests which do not need ironing. Besides utilising space, you will be shock proofing things already packed up in the boxes.
8) Segregation and Labelling
9) Give Packings While Packing Fragile StuffThe fragile items, breakables and delicate stuff and yes, the cherished things like glass paintings need to be given additional care. Do not forget to put a shock absorbing packing inside the boxes covering all sides. Some handy shock proofing can be done with foam, newspapers crumpled into packings, rags and bubble wraps. A broken piece will break hearts. So, it is recommended to save both through sensible packing. Pay special attention to those things that must be kept in an upright position. Label the box accordingly.
10) Go for Specialty Movers for Special StuffIf you find yourself fumbling, apprehensive or incapable of packing fragile stuff, do not over-experiment with your untried stunts. You may end up doing more harm than good. It will be worth it if you call specialty movers who are expert in packing and transporting such stuff with ease and safety. They have the right kind of packing material handy and more importantly possess the required expertise.
Here are Some More Helpful Tips for you:How to Pack Jewelry for Moving
Practical Packing Hacks for Easy Moving
Where Can I Buy Moving Boxes for Cheap?
What Packing Services and Material Offered by Movers?
How to Pack and Hire Movers When Managing Last-Minute Move?
Get Free Moving Quotes
Related Moving Tips