Should You Move Yourself or Hire Movers for the Moving Job?
For many people who are planning to move, the first question that comes to mind is what is the best way to move home. Should they rent a moving truck, load it up and drive themselves or should they hire the best local movers who can handle all the intricacies of moving home? Well, the answer to this question is not that simple, since both ways have their pros and cons. Also, every move has its own variables and challenges, so there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. With this guide, we will help you make this decision by taking a few logical steps.
Understand your Moving OptionsFirst and foremost, let's begin with understanding all your moving options. With these options either you can save money or get a stress-free move. They include:
1) Rent a Moving Truck, pack and load all your belongings and then drive and unload yourself.
2) Find and Hire the best local movers only to transport your household items while you handle packing your belongings yourself.
3) Hire reliable full-service movers, who will handle packing, moving and even unpacking of all your belongings.
Now that you understand your options, let's begin with the process of eliminating them. Following are a few facets of your move that will dictate what is your best way to move locally.
- Small-sized move, for example, moving a dorm room with just a few moving boxes and light furniture items - DIY move is your most preferable option in this case.
- Moving a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment full of household items - DIY eliminated. Pack your stuff yourself and hire local movers to transport them.
- Big move with lots of furniture items and fragile items - DIY eliminated. Full-service movers as they can safely and securely move all the items.
- Special items like a piano, pool table etc: Both DIY and self-pack eliminated. You need professionals to both pack and move all these items.
- Accessibility issues with your move: If your move requires you to get long haul, flight, hoisting or any such services from movers, then DIY option is eliminated and you should consider full-service movers.
- Time and physical issues: If you are a working professional or got physical problems which restrict you to lift heavy objects, then both DIY and self-pack options are eliminated and you should go with full service moving companies.
- Working with a specific budget: Full-service movers eliminated since they are the most expensive option. Before choosing the DIY option, get free moving quotes to understand how much do movers cost for a local move.
If your choice is still not clear, let's understand the pros and cons of each option:
Pros and Cons about DIY Moving
Pros:Moving yourself with a truck rental or trailer is considered as the cheapest way to move locally. If you are moving with only a few moving boxes and minimal furniture items, then you can plan and move at your own pace.
- You will need to dedicate time to buy all the packing materials and different sizes of moving boxes as per your requirements. You will then need to devote your time and effort in packing up your home. Also, items packed yourself will not be covered by insurance.
- You will need to handle the physical exertion of manoeuvring heavy furniture and loaded moving boxes. You will also need to take care of dismantling and reassembling your furniture and appliances.
- You will have to drive a fully-loaded moving truck which you are probably unfamiliar with.
- You need to consider the risk of injury to yourself while moving heavy items, as well as potential damage to both your belongings and even both of your homes.
- What if your friends don't arrive on moving day to help you. You will either have to postpone or consider hiring moving labor at the last minute.
- Greater stress as you have to plan, manage and execute every moving detail yourself.
Pros and Cons about Hiring Movers
- Professional movers bring all the packing materials and then pack up all your belongings in a systematic way. The entire process of packing and moving will be considerably more efficient and quicker.
- They will pack up all your fragile and valuable possessions with utmost care.
- Local movers come prepared with all the proper equipment to move all your belongings safely.
- You will not have to worry about dismantling furniture items or how to move large furniture items through tight spaces or even down flights of stairs.
- You don't have to worry about driving a heavily loaded truck or about any potential physical injury.
- Local movers pack the truck tightly and securely so there is no damage to your belongings during transit.
- Local moving companies are licensed and insured as per their state's requirements. Many of them even hold USDoT (United States Department of Transportation) number. This means the movers will be responsible for any damage that they may cause to your property. Reputable local movers are members of Better Business Bureau, which make arbitration easy if required.
- You will be able to remove stress and hardship from your move.
Cons:More experience than a DIY move. Unlike long distance movers quotes, the local moving quotes will depend on the total time required to finish the move and the number of movers used. This means the more items you are moving, the more your moving cost will be.
As you can see, hiring the best local movers for your move has plenty of benefits when compared to a DIY move. You also need to remember that any cost benefits that a DIY move brings will be wiped out in case of any damage occurred during the move.
Move Smoothly, Find and Hire Licensed & Insured Movers!With the above guide, we can come to the conclusion that employing the services of reputable local movers will make your move as stress-free as possible. As to find such movers, just finish a simple form here at Moversfolder.com and get a free moving quote from different movers. Compare quotes to find the best local movers and save up to 40% on your move.
Get Free Moving Quotes
Related Moving Tips