Toll Free: 1-866-288-3285
The Ultimate Moving Guide to South Carolina
Introduction to South Carolina,
Located in the southeastern part of the United States, South Carolina shares borders with North Carolina to the north, Georgia to the west, and the Atlantic Ocean to the southeast. South Carolina has earned the nickname “The Palmetto State”.
The state has rivers like Savannah River (which forms a natural border with Georgia), Pee Dee River, Catawba River and Waterlee River. The state is also known for lakes like Lake Marion, Lake Moultrie, and Lake Strom Thurmond.
South Carolina enjoys good weather, and offers a lot of scope for natural escapades and outdoor excursions. The state has rich history and culture, apart from being hospitable.
Why Move to South Carolina with Moversfolder.com?Moving to South Carolina has to be executed with ingenuity. To ensure a smooth and cost-efficient move, you will find good assistance with Moversfolder.com for more than one reason. The exclusive online portal has a wide database of chosen professional movers that are skilled and licensed to move to South Carolina. The portal is user friendly and you get easy access to the tailored solution to your moving needs within no time. All you have to fill is some basic details. Besides, you stand to save up to 40% of your average cost of moving using Moversfolder.com.
Reasons to Move to South CarolinaThe state of South Carolina has great weather, plenty of outdoor activities, a strong economy, generally affordable housing and some more reasons to move to. Here are a few of the most alluring reasons to move to South Carolina.
An Abode of Natural BeautyThe state of South Carolina has a lot of mesmerizing natural locales and mountains, waterfalls, seashore views and rivers. Those who wish to soak in the lap of nature would love the state.
A Promising Economic ScenarioSouth Carolina has a booming economy. The cities like Charleston, Greenville, and Columbia are sought after relocations for retirees and professionals. Healthcare, technology, and other industries are booming.
A Historical AppealSouth Carolina also has a historical appeal. There are amazing architectural elements woven in the buildings. Cobbled streets, and trails and layouts are simply picturesque and inspiring.
Good Academic OpportunitiesThe college graduates and other students can wish for sound academic careers here. University of South Carolina.
Affordable Cost of LivingLiving in South Carolina is low as compared to several places in the United States.
Health ReasonsLiving in South Carolina is beneficial from a health point of view also. The warm climate helps to stay agile. There are excellent medical facilities in the state. You will find some of the best doctors in South Carolina.
Driver’s License and Vehicle Registration in South CarolinaIf you are a new mover to South Carolina and hold a valid out-of-the-state driver’s license, you are permitted to drive for a maximum 90 days with the old license. If you are moving to Richland County from anywhere within South Carolina, the time allowed for change of address is 10 days.
You are allowed 45 days after relocating to South Carolina from another state to get your vehicle registration updated. The South Carolina DMV issues the driver’s licenses and registration certificates.
You need the following documents for the transfer of registration:
- Application, Form 400 duly completed
- If there is lien on the vehicle, you need the name and address of the lienholder
- Name of your automobile liability insurance company
- Property Tax payment proof. (The payment is done with the Richland County Treasurer’s Office).
Average Cost of Living in South Carolina
The Economic Policy Institute puts the monthly cost of living in South Carolina at $2,332 for singles. For a family of four (two adults, two children), the figures shoot up to $4,748 monthly.
Housing in SC is affordable than many places in the country. The median home value in the state is nearly $160,000. However, the prices will vary a bit with the exact city you move to. Charleston has a higher median home value (around $360,000) and Mount Pleasant will still be higher ($ 490,000).
The median rent price in the state is nearly $760 per month (single bedroom), $900 (two bedrooms). For living costs in different cities, you can refer to the section below. Please also remember that healthcare in South Carolina is a bit higher than the national average.
Some Coolest Attractions in South CarolinaSouth Carolina offers a peep into history, relaxing beaches, recreational options, and quality food. You can hope to see much adventure and high feel at water parks, golf ranges, stage shows, and multiple resorts. Here a few most flaunted attractions in South Carolina:
1) Hilton Head Island: You can find this beach area quite relaxing and tranquil. There are shopping facilities, fine dining, and sandy beaches. Also a great place for biking, surfing, and dolphin watching.
2) Huntington Beach State Park: The best place in South Carolina to find 300 bird species and amazing wildlife.
3) Charleston’s Historic district: Go down the memory lane at this place having 1400 historic homes, and other buildings. Aiken-Rhett House and Nathaniel Russell House and Old Slave Museum are just some of the names revealing a rich tradition.
4) Myrtle Beach: The mesmerising beach offers multiple seaside pleasures.
5) South Carolina Plantations: This amazing place is home to more than 2000 plantations.
6) Middleton Place: Put as number one attraction in South Carolina by TripAdvisor.com, Middleton Place is home to lush 65 acres of gardens, the museum house, and historic sites.
7) Falls Park on the Reedy: Located in Greenville, this is one of the most stunning of the nation’s parks. The waterfalls and Liberty Bridge are amazing.
8) Spoleto Festival: This annual event is one of the huge performing arts festivals in the state. In lines with the Festival dei Due Mondi in Spoleto, Italy, this festival at Charleston is marked with theatre and music performances.
Weather and Natural Disasters in South CarolinaSouth Carolina experiences a humid subtropical climate. The summers are hot and humid. The day temperature may exceed 90˚F (32.2˚C). The winter temperature ranges between 58˚F (14.4˚C) and 62˚F (16.7˚). July is the hottest month of the year whereas January is the coldest.
The spring in South Carolina is pleasant and beautiful with the average temperature ranging from 50 -65 degrees Fahrenheit. There is blooming of flowers in March with colourful azaleas and dogwoods dotting the ambience around. April is somewhat warmer.
South Carolina gets 48 inches of rain and 1 inch of snow annually. There are 216 sunny days on an average. As far as natural disasters are concerned, the state of South Carolina is prone to hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes.
What are the Best Places to Move to in South Carolina?South Carolina has its own charm and appeal. Some of the best places to move to in the state are as below.
CharlestonThe city is marked with a rich historical lineage and holds a strong attraction for the tourists and movers. Charleston holds a mirror to the southern hospitality as the people here are very warm hearted and welcoming. The city is famous for its architectural elements, cobbled streets, and stunning beaches too. The city is also a hub of the foodies with delectable cuisines all around. You can find some of the finest restaurants here.
James IslandA good option for those new movers who find Charleston expensive. The median home price in James Island was nearly $270,000. Located just across the harbor from downtown, James Island is at an easy commuting distance from central Charleston (around 15-20 minutes). James Island is home to some good malls and restaurants.
ColumbiaThe capital city is a good place to raise a family. There are plenty of urban amenities, good schools, and entertainment options. The vast 170- acre Riverbanks zoo is a major landmark attraction of the city. Columbia is also home to the famous University of South Carolina.
Rock HillNature lovers will find Rock Hill to be a perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of a metropolis. There are tranquil parks, recreational centers, and the famous Rock Hill Outdoor Center. Rock Hill is not densely populated and the median home price is around $ 140,000.
North CharlestonLocated to the north of Charleston, North Charleston is the third largest of the South Carolina cities. The city is ambient and has nightlife, with some of the exciting restaurants and shopping arenas. Youngsters love to flaunt the city. The city has the famous Northwoods Mall. The median home price is nearly $180,000.
Quality of Higher Education in South CarolinaSome of the eminent higher education centers in the state are:
- University of South Carolina, Columbia
- University of South Carolina, Lancaster
- Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston
- Anderson University, Anderson
- The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina, Charleston
- University of South Carolina, Salkehatchie, Allendale
Job Market/Opportunities in South CarolinaSome of the fast growing jobs in South Carolina are:
- Home Health Aids
- Operations Analysts
- Physical Therapists
- Industry mechanics
- Gynecologists and Obstetricians
State Income Tax policy in South Carolina
The state of South Carolina levies marginal tax rates depending upon the income tax bracket one falls in. Higher the bracket, higher is the percentage of tax to be deposited. Please also note that South Carolina tax authorities do not differentiate between filing statuses like single, married, joint, head of household etc. The tax brackets apply irrespective of such titles.
The South Carolina income tax scenario is progressive. The top marginal tax rate starts at incomes exceeding $14,680 and is 7%.Those earning less than $2970 are not required to pay any tax. The property tax in the state is low i.e. just 0.57%. (Fifth lowest in the nation). Gas taxes are also on the lower side in the state. The sales tax is 6%.
Retirees Can RelaxYes, the retirees can relax a lot while staying in South Carolina. Please also note that there are no taxes on Social Security retirement benefits. Additionally, there is a $15,000 deduction allowed for seniors getting any other type of retirement income. Thus, South Carolina is tax-friendly for retired persons. The marginal tax rate is 5.90%.
Ready to Move to South Carolina?
- If you are moving to South Carolina from a far -flung place, consider hiring professional movers who know how to handle long-distance moving. Here at Moversfolder.com you could easily obtain multiple free moving company quotes online from the most eligible and professional moving companies. This is essential in executing a delightful South Carolina moving.
- You need not carry a heavy overcoat in South Carolina. Sweaters and a mid-weight jacket should be sufficient.
- South Carolina is a haven of natural beauty, history, culture and food.
- South Carolina ranks as one of the top ten states in the US in terms of growth.
- Please ensure you find a good job before finalizing your relocation. If you are going to start up a business, please study the market first.
- Please do not move with heavy moving size.
- You are suggested to move in an organized way. It is recommended to hire professional movers well in time. Please go through our long-distance moving page and moving tips and guides on Moversfolder.com for your customized needs and assistance.
Get Free Moving Quotes
Related Moving Tips