Planning a local move and wondering how long will it take to finish the move? Timing is an important consideration when it comes to local moving since most of the local movers base their prices on an hourly basis. However, what factors do professional movers consider to determine your moving time while providing you with local moving companies quotes? With this guide, learn the average amount of time it takes to move as per your move size.
Easy Formula to Calculate the Moving Time
While there are several factors that influence your moving time, it is essentially based on the following formula with a few exceptions:
Moving Time = (Access X # of items) + Drive time + Prep/Packing + Placement Decisions
Size of Your Move
Professional moving and storage services providers consider the general timelines based on the size of your move before providing the local moving companies quotes. The time frame for your move might be more or less than these general moving timelines. For a local move, with 2 movers, the number of hours it takes to finish the move as per your household size is
- Studio or one-bedroom moves: 2-3 hours.
- Two-bedroom moves: 3-5 hours.
- Three to four-bedroom house moves: around 7-8 hours
- Five or more bedroom house moves: 8 to 10 hours.
This approximate timeline doesn’t include some moving tasks like packing boxes or disassembly of furniture items etc.
Factors that Affect the Moving Time
Along with the size of your move, there are plenty of other factors that may speed up or slow down your moving process. A few of them are in your control and you can take measures to avoid them, others are out of your control. Here is a list of all the factors that you need to consider while determining the time required to finish the move.
- Total number of boxes to move
- The number of furniture items to move and their size
- Assembly/disassembly of furniture
- Number of fragile items to move
- Packing and moving any special items like a piano
- Accessibility of moving truck
- How many flights of stairs
- Size of Elevator
- Long hallways or walkways to travel over
- Number of moving labour hired
- Additional pickups and stops
- How prepared you were at both you old and new home for the move
- Distance between your old home and your new one
- Traffic or weather conditions on roads
- A travel fee which usually amounts to 1 extra hour of work. The fee is the payment for the time the local moving crew needs to reach your home.
Get Local Moving Companies Quotes & Learn the Moving Cost
The above approximate calculations can help you get an initial idea of what to expect both in terms of moving time and moving cost. However, there’s only one surefire way to know how much time your move will take and cost and that is with the help of local moving quotes. Just fill out a simple form at Moversfolder with all your moving requirements and get local moving companies quotes online for your move right in your inbox. Compare these quotes and the moving companies that have made them with great care. And find the best local movers that fit your moving budget and satisfy your moving needs.